Thursday, April 1, 2010

New Food April



It's kind of a big deal.
A few weeks ago, I was again, rushing to fix something for dinner. I don't know why I do that. I had some frozen Swedish Meatballs, and I thought, I'll just thaw these in the pan.... What a STUPID idea! Josh walked into the kitchen as I was swirling the frozen, blistered log of gravy around the pan.

"Wanna go to Bambino's?" he said,
"Yep." I replied.
Bambino's was great as usual, by the way.
So, that brings us to three days ago. I decided to plan out a month's worth of meals. That way, we wouldn't be spending money on (totally worth it) Bam's. So, I got out all my cookbooks and as I was leafing through them, a thought struck me: Why not make new recipies every day of the month? So I did it. I went through my cookbooks, and found a bunch of stuff I wanted to try. Then, I put them on a calendar. After that, I made a shopping list and the boys and I went to two stores and got everything we need for the next ten days.


Tonight's menu was Shepherd's Pie. I got the recipe from Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals Comfort Food.


Here are some highlights.

The Guth's came over.

I doubled the recipie and there was a TON!

There was a cup of cream in the potatoes.

There was cheese on top. (That was not in the recipie, but come on.)

Everyone liked it except Noah, but he did have a huge cup of juice right before so that might have had something to do with it.



Some lowish lights:

It was a little bland. The recipe only called for a little salt and pepper to season the ground beef, but it needed more than that, I would have for sure used some garlic salt had I been thinking.

Ummm, I guess that's about it.

Oh, and so far, I have never made a Rachael Ray 30 Minute Meal in thirty minutes. Maybe it'll get better.

Tomorrow night will be Ziti with Sausage and Canellini Beans.

Wish me luck!







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carlie, Most meals can use a little garlic to improve it's flavor... But for the really tough items - rely on bacon. There is simply No Thing that can't be better with bacon.
You live in an area that has good growing seasons and plentiful fresh grown veggies, etc. Always go with what ever is in the farmer's markets near you. Don't forget to experiment with the herbs and spices.
Auntie Carol B. in Indiana

Autumn Terrill said...

That looks super yummy. Good for you to plan 30 DIFFERENT meals! Pretty amazing. I would love to hear how things turn out :)

Erika Siddle said...

I am so impressed that you actually found 30 recipies, a new one for each day of the month, went shopping and bought all the stuff & then cooked it up. You Go Girl. I love it!
you are my new hero :)