Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ohhhhh Man!




So, last Monday, we were supposed to have Sun dried Tomato and Sausage Risotto. We did not have that. I don't know what we had. It was not a NFA approved meal. I think we were "away". I honestly don't know where though. So, we skip Monday...

On Tuesday, our besties, the Guth's came over. We had Cool and Crunchy Chicken Tacos from Pampered Chef. I'll let you in on a little secret. I've had this before!!! It was like, a whole summer ago, so it almost doesn't count, right? No one else in the family had, so I feel okay about it...

Someday, I will get to prepare and consume dinner without having to stop to console screaming boy... someday...

These tacos incorporate a few of my favorite things:

chicken: it's chicken, what's not to like?

tacos: one of my very favorite things ever!

mangos: my husband once wrote me a song about how much I like them.

(notice if you will, that in the last three sentences, I have used all three punctuation marks.)

cumin: quickly becoming a new go to spice for me.

jicama: not a favorite, but I believe it deserves an honorable mention.

I think 5 is a sufficient number of things.


These tacos were a big hit with the family!



There was the chicken mixture, which was grilled chicken (I got a bag of the already grilled strips at Costco, not a great idea in the long run because of the price, but it worked for me this time.), cumin, lime juice and mayo. Then there was the salsa! Mango, lime juice, jicama and cilantro! It was the crowning glory of these tacos! The recipe said to cut the mango and jicama into thin strips with a mandolin slicer (namely the Pampered Chef one, but I don't got that). Have you ever tried to cut a mango and a jicama into thin strips while a very sad and hungry baby is screaming at you? Needless to say, my strips were not very uniform. Next time, it'll all get chopped up small like salsa, 'cause that what it really is anyway.



I doubled the recipe, and it's a good thing I did! We ate all of it and I think we would have put away a tripled batch. They were really that good.




This New Food made it into permanent rotation!


Next: Sun Dried Tomato and Sausage Risotto

No comments: