Saturday, April 7, 2012

Gonna try and post this update and two more to get caught up on NFA. So, here goes:


My friend Karen is cool. She has three daughters. Two are in high school and one is in middle school. You could pray for Karen. ;) The reason I mention her is that every year, she makes an April Fools Meal. This year she made a pizza cake in a Bundt pan and topped it with sliced mozzarella cheese to look like frosting on the cake. She makes something fun like this every year. 


When I was doing my menu for NFA, I thought of a pin I saw on Pinterest that would be perfect to do for my own April Fools Meal. It was Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting! How fun, right?!? Well, I ended up not having any thawed ground beef on Sunday so I switched things up and made it Monday. April Fools! 


Here's a little backstory:


The first and last time I made meatloaf before this was an epic fail. You can ask Josh and Nakita. It was not great. It was WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY too salty, and you know it MUST have been salty for me to say that. It was just not good. So when I told Josh I was making meatloaf, he was like, "Meeeeehhhhhhhhh".


But these were really good! I broke the cardinal rule of NFA and changed up the recipe a little. All I did was use bbq sauce instead of ketchup. It's just my personal belief that BBQ trumps ketchup every time. Anyway, these were fun and cute and the boys liked them a lot. Jax is still offended that they weren't actually cupcakes, but he'll get over it one day, with therapy and prayer, I suppose.


I think it was the bacon that put these over the top. I would absolutely make these again!
Oh! Also, I loved that they cooked a lot faster than a traditional meatloaf. And that veggies were hidden in them. I suppose you could toss in any veggie you want. Heh heh heh!



Aren't these the cutest things you ever saw?

Next up: Champagne Chicken

2 comments:

Karen Hitchcock said...

Awww! Thanks, you called me cool! I feel honored to be mentioned in your blog! I love your blog!

Jessica said...

Those ARE cute! And they look tasty, too! What fun.